Shadow of the Demon Lord @ Gamezilla RPG night
The campaign features 30 players, all in the same adventure!
For a brief overview of the setting and assumptions for the game, visit the Wiki's main page.
Level 0: The Shadow Over Chuton
Monday 1 May, 2017
The horror began in the small village of Chuton at the Festival of Forgiveness, when all present at the harvest festival were attacked by their own shadows. The discovery of five occult bundles in the Town Hall sent the heroes to five locations to stop the evil:
- The Graveyard: reports by Chrissie the goblin and Tonk the goblin scholar.
- The Bailey Farm: report by Sister Hüvje the deacon.
- The Free Scholars Library: reports by Bzzzantine the clockwork and Alaric the artificer and Henri the faun.
- The Forest: report by Nessa the dwarf and the late Stenk the changeling.
- The Rusted Crown Inn: report by Porky.
Level 1: The Bells Spoke Doom
Monday 15 May, 2017
Somebody has summoned demons to attack the village. Who, and why? The heroes asked Vert, the bartender at the accursed Rusted Crown, about who had visited in the last month. They followed the trail of five mysterious strangers to the nearby towns:
- Pickford to the north, on the trail of Lucky Bran, a graverobber who wanted to turn the Barrows into a tourist attraction;
- Meriview to the east, where Porky and friends followed Adeline Hart and found strange animals and missing people in an idyllic Halfling village;
- Ashborne to the west, where Henri and the Lion encountered Red Leaf the fey;
- Grantham to the south-west, where Chrissie and friends saw the terrible work of Brother Viktus the witch-hunter and found a horrifying letter, and
- Oldoak to the south-east, where Alaric and friends came face to face with the real villain who had brought the shadows to Chuton: an Elegant Woman who escaped north by train, towards the free city of Crossings.
Level 2: The Fires of Justice
Monday 29 May, 2017
Even as the heroes learned that the villain was bound for Crossings, a crisis emerged: after the report of Brother Viktus, the Swords of Astrid from the Cult of the New God are marching to purge Chuton with fire and sword. Henri is worried, he has everyone to lose. The heroes held an urgent town meeting and decided to outwit the inquisitors.
However, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. Those most threatened by the inquisition refused to stay and join the ruse. Instead, they fled into the forest. Those remaining attempted a desperate scheme. The lead inquisitor, Hugolin, was unconvinced. He demanded a test of faith. The Heroes of Cuton were sent to:
- Investigate blackened Sprouts where Porky and his band lost a friend to a Boggart;
- Retrieve a Chalice from savage beastmen where Tonk tested Sister Hüvje’s faith and a cup was found.
- Vanquish gremlins where Alric found Chuton’s newest resident.
While these quests were filled with their own peril, those who fled to the forest faced another threat. After a confrontation with patrolling Swords of Astrid, they felt they had no choice but to bargain with Redleaf. Jack, Henri and the rest of those in hiding found the fey being and made a most terrible pact.
Separated and weary, at last, The Heroes of Chuton reunited on the road back to the village.
Level 3: Grave Decisions
Monday 26th June, 2017
As The Heroes of Chuton marched back towards their village, thick black smoke was pouring from the town. Quickly, hands reached for weapons and weary feet broke into a run.
Something is happening in Chuton. As they run, the faithful pray the village still stands.
About the campaign
We play every second Monday upstairs at Izakaya Chuji (165 Lonsdale St, Melbourne), at the Gamezilla RPG Meetup group.
How we play
Each night starts with a group session and briefing, and then the GMs present five different problems to solve. The players discuss and form parties, and then play out the adventures simultaneously (a normal RPG session, at five different tables), then meet back at the end of the night to bury the dead, share stories, quake in fear, and discuss what needs to be done next time.
Survivors level up after every adventure. The campaign will take eleven sessions.
Leading you into the shadow are a team of GMs:
We currently have 30 registered players, so we are booked out, sorry. Feel free to get in touch, spaces may open up, and we may run a second season if this goes well!
The game system
Shadow of the Demon Lord is a fast, dynamic and gruesome D20 system by Rob Schwalb, who was a designer on DnD 5e, as well as Song of Ice and Fire, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition, and others. It’s very easy to learn and play. For more, visit Schwalb Entertainment.
We are grateful for the support of: